The format of the paper is always the same (see below), the only difference is that the representational group and TV drama will change. It is usually expected that you will spend 30 minutes watching and making notes and then 30-45 minutes writing your answer which leaves 45-60 minutes for the audience and institutions question. Personally, I would aim for 40 minutes writing the representation answer which leaves you 50 minutes for the audiences and institutions question.
Section A: Textual Analysis and Representation (Unseen moving image extract)
• You will be allowed two minutes to read the question for Section A before the extract is screened.
• The extract will be screened four times.
• First screening: watch the extract; no notes are to be made this time.
• Second screening: watch the extract and make notes. • There will be a brief break for note-making.
• Third and fourth screening: watch the extract and make notes.
• Your notes for Section A are to be written in the answer booklet provided and must be handed in at the end of the examination. Rule a diagonal line through your notes afterwards. Extract: The Killing Episode 1, Series 1 Extract length: 5 minutes max.
Timing of extract: First 5 minutes of Episode 1. Answer the question below, with detailed reference to specific examples from the extract only.
1 Discuss the ways in which the extract constructs representations of gender using the following: • Camera shots, angles, movement and composition • Editing • Sound • Mise-en-scene