- You are only going to be sitting the second part of the AS exam because you have not studied TV Drama with Ms Morgan yet.
- So, like the practice essays you have sat for me, you will answer one 50 mark essay question in 45 minutes.
- You need to aim to write around 750 words, for most of you that’s around 3 sides
- You should plan your answer for 5 minutes. This is crucial because lots of students fail to do this and as a result write answers that do not fully address the question. Re-read the question three times and underline the key words.
- REMEMBER the mark scheme – 10 marks for the use of terms (audiences_institution_glossary); 20 marks for examples; 20 marks for explanation, argument and analysis.
- Lots of questions ask you to focus on more than one aspect.
How important is technological convergence for institutions and audiences within a media area which you have studied? (this is not the exam question!)
This question requires a thorough discussion of the importance of technological convergence for both institutions and audiences
Read the following answer and examiner responses. This will give you a really good idea of what sort of answer gains a high grade:
High Level – Scroll down to Q2::
Low Level – Scroll down to Q2:: mediastudies_unitg322_jan2009_lowlevelresponseq1q2
PREPARE AND REVISE:
Please specifically focus on hardware and content:
Content is the information and experience(s) directed towards an end-user or audience. Content is “something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing or any of various arts”.
Digital content comes in many forms, from text and audio and videos files, to graphics, animations, and images. Typically, digital content refers to information available for download or distribution on electronic media such as an ebook or iTunes song, but many in the content industry argue that digital content is anything that can be published. Following this line of thinking, it is safe to say that if you are on the internet, most likely you are looking at, watching, or listening to a piece of digital content.
REFER TO YOUR BLOGS AND OTHERS IN THE CLASS – revise the examples that are given about hardware, technology and content. Disney roles out so much content for each of its films, it is unbelievable.
For example, a quick internet search for Star Wars: Rogue 1 reveals the following:
User generated content:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_One
Secondary circulation (content created by third parties): http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-rogue-one-release-8615585